As we end the year we can’t help but to want to recount all of our accomplishments and successes and talk about the new goals for the year. Though I welcome the new year with open arms, I will not say goodbye to the old year as if it the year was an uninvited guest. I will acknowledge, honor and thank the year we left behind.
Before I share my successes in 2015 and goals for 2015 here are a couple of interesting things:
- My most over utilized tools continue to be Pocket and Evernote. Canva for blog images.
- These cool life-hack Ted Talks available on Netflix.
- I like reading yearly horoscope for entertainment and here is a cool one.
- Unhappy with your life? Take action for happiness here.
Now back to 2015, in a couple of sentences or paragraph let me know in the comments what this year was like for you?
For me it was a selfish year. I can’t recall when I initiated a phone call to relative/friend that didn’t involve me, nor did I follow through on those ” we need to make plans to meet up” this year. While I attended some friends events, I was absent from many of my good friends important life events such as moves, children, some birthdays among other things. All I talked about was my wedding in 2016 and whatever issues related to me. I wanted to send Christmas cards but I didn’t. Yes, 2015 was a very selfish year for me…and that’s OK I needed it to be. After spending a couple of years giving, volunteering, worrying about other people’s problems, reaching out, trying to find balance in my life through outside sources, I needed this inward-looking time to myself.
Beside neglecting a lot of my friends/family (and I really do miss spending time with them) I am very thankful for what those 12 months brought to me. So here’s to acknowledging, honoring and thanking 2015:
Dear 2015, Thank You For:
- A wonderful relationship.
- Our friends and family, their health, presence, love and support. And for all of our friends and family that have confirmed their attendance to our wedding and those that wish they can be there but are not able to make it.
- My moms unconditional and overwhelming love and support.
- A new job where I feel very happy.
- Our new house in The Bronx (peace rent!).
- Allowing us to save up and pay for our wedding cash, no debt.
- New friendships that are here to stay (you know who you are).
- Overcoming my fear of weights at the gym. I’ve always been skinny fat, basically I’ve never worried about diets or exercise and was never consistent with my workouts. I did steps and ballet in high school and occasional yoga in my 20’s (I had a gym membership for 2 months but hardly used it). After working out with my fiancé, I now love weight workouts and want to have healthy diet and exercise plan.
- My blog 1 year anniversary, it’s successes and increased readership. As well as the awesome people I’ve met because of it.
- Our daily bread and being able to treat myself to Luke’s Lobster, Vosges Chocolates and my favorite foods when I craved them.
Things I will be saying good bye to in 2016:
- Shoe laces and trading them for this.
- My mole (I just wish i can move it closer to my lips!).
- Wisdom tooth.
- Hair breaking scrunchies and replacing them with these lovely things.
- Spending 2-3 hours in the hair salon every Saturday (they are always really busy and take no appointments) instead I’m going to use less heat and do my own hair more often. Turning this into a hot oil mask is working magic on my hair.
- Buying lunch 5 days a week, reduce that to only 2-3 times a week. these collapsible bowls are everything!
- Letting sales people talk me into buying things I don’t want or need or that are simply just not right for me. Instead, I will make more planned purchases.
- Clutter. I will continue my minimalist/clutter free project and will begin applying the 3-7-14 rule to anything new I buy.
- Boring clothes.
Things I will be trying in 2016
(borrowed from this TedTalk: The Happy Secret to Better Work)
- Be Grateful: I will write 3 things I’m grateful for each day or things that made me happy and dump it in jar like this.
- Journal: Continue to journal on evernote and on my blog.
- Exercise: Develop a routine and stick to it.
- Meditate: I’m already doing this. If you are new to meditation sign up to be notified when the next Deepak and Oprah free meditation challenge is available. I recently tried Kundalini Yoga and loved it.
- Random Acts of Kindness: I was the recipient of a couple of acts of kindness throughout the year and I want to pay it forward.
Things I Welcome in 2016
- Our wedding.
- Will this be the year of the baby bump? We want it to be.
- Go back to church / congregating.
- Keeping a gratitude jar.
- Spending more time with friends and being present in their lives.
- More blogging, more collaborations and making back-end changes to the blog to make it faster and prettier.
- A fitness routine (making fitness a priority, finding a gym and schedule that fits into my life naturally and without major effort). My upper body strength is very week so I will be using this guide.
- Healthy meal plan / grocery list.
- Since my measurements rarely fit into anything straight from the rack I want to take a sewing class or improve my cooking skills. There are fun classes on Verlocal. William Sonoma offers free cooking demos which is a good start too.
- Host a couple of summer backyard parties.
- Take at least one international trip other than our wedding. Potential places are the south of Italy, Norway, the Dominican Republic where we have friends and family.
- Read good stuff.
- Stop being camera shy and take more photos of myself, my love ones, my surrounding. They will make good memories one day.
- Support my fiance (husband by then) with his photography passion and business.
- Being the one who is always on time.
The 2016 MONEY-OUT wishlist
- Pay off my smallest student loan.
- A laundry room in the basement.
- Let Ikea open up and redo my tiny kitchen.
- A space saving refrigerator that will help me stay organized and keep food fresher longer.
- New work wardrobe.
- A nice everyday handbag.
- An updated lingerie drawer. Getting rid of stuff and adding new things. So far I was gifted this beautiful robe that I’m in love with and this set. I bought this gorgeous lace balconette set and picked up a couple of fun inexpensive pieces: a super comfortable uniform bra, this super cute nightie, this white and baby blue set, and this set in tequila sunrise, I didn’t love the color but its a nice fit so I’m keeping it.
- International trip other than my wedding.
The 2016 extra MONEY-IN to-do list
- I’m writing myself an abundance check a la Jim Carey with how much money I want to be making long term (big check) and another small one for much I want to make this year blogging.
- Help my fiance launch his photography side business.
That’s all folks. Happy and Prosperous 2016!